Thursday, December 30, 2010

Life hurts...

This past week something very tragic happened. A man went inside a strip club and started shooting. He killed two people and wounded two others, including a dancer. Patrons eventually wrestled the gunman to the floor. As I read the news articles about it, I was reminded of the pain related to a similar shooting that happened to my family on April 19, 2000. A gunman walked into a crowded home owners association meeting in Sun City and opened gun fire. His intention was to kill as many people as possible. He never intended to walk out alive. That became apparent with the suicide note that was in his shirt pocket. And just like the shooting at the strip club, he was wrestled to the floor and overtaken by others. He killed two, and wounded six others in the seconds that he shot freely in the air. My parents were both at the meeting that day. My mom lost her life from one of his bullets. They were 4 months away from their 50 wedding anniversary. After reading about what had happened at these two strip clubs recently, I was once again reminded of that day. I understand the emotions that the gals that work at the club must be going through right now. I also know the deep sense of sadness and grief that comes from losing a loved one in such a senseless and cruel manner.

Whenever a person experiences this kind of trauma, they begin to realize how much of our lives are focused on trivial things. That happened to me. I discovered that all that mattered boiled down to a few basic questions. Who do I love? Who will miss me? What have I done in my life? Am I ready for what’s next if my life is over suddenly? Ever since that day, I’ve tried to live with those questions more at the forefront.

As I reflected on my life during the difficult days that followed our shooting, I concluded three things:

First, I know that there is good in the world. Though overwhelmed with sorrow just now, you will learn to laugh again, to play again, to love again. You will learn to walk into a crowded room without fear and without trying to figure out where all the exits are, just in case you need to run for your life. Yes, the world can be good.

Secondly, I know too that the world is fallen. You understand that truth after you walk through the aftermath of a senseless crime. The shootings show what humanity on its own can produce.

Thirdly, as a Christ follower, I trust that the world will be redeemed. This is not the world God wants or is satisfied with. God has promised a time when evil will be defeated, when events like these shootings will cease. Even more, God has promised that even the scars we accumulate on this fallen planet will be redeemed. It’s because He loves us more than we could ever imagine, and He wants a relationship with us.

Someone once said, that “nothing irredeemable has happened or can happen to us on our way to our destiny in God’s full world.” Did you get that? Nothing is irredeemable. I would like to promise you an end to your pain and grief, a guarantee that you will never again hurt as you hurt now. I can’t make that promise. I can, however, stand behind the promise made in Romans 8, that “all things can work together for our good.” Terrible things will happen to us and around us, yet we have access to a “peace that passes understanding” that can calm both our hearts and minds in the midst of tragedy. God’s love for us is true and real, and I pray that you do not let your grief or fear obscure that fact.

If you are reading this, it’s because you took the time to check out who we are. Maybe you would love to talk to someone about what you’re feeling after this tragedy. We would love to talk with you over coffee sometime. We are friends that care about you. We are friends that are there for you. We are friends that would love to listen to where your heart is at…and friends who would love to pray with you. We get what you’re going through….

Joyce, Brianne, Heidi, Morgan, Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment